*Sponsored Post by Real California Milk. All recipes and opinions are my own.
Ciao! One of my favorite Italian dishes that I absolutely love is lasagna. You know what I don’t love? The heavy carbs that make me tired from the food coma. To replace these noodles, I use thinly sliced Italian zucchini as a replacement; this vegetable is low carb and adds a hearty texture to this dish. Bonus, you can still get your protein from the ricotta cheese (about 6oz of protein per serving) and sprinkle some dry jack for a slightly nutty flavor and crispy top layer. Since I like to support my local farmers (Real California Milk represents California’s more than 1,300 dairy farmers – 99% family run), I picked a brand that’s part of the Real California Milk family (Click HERE for brands/locations); be sure to check the label so you know it’s from the local CA farmers.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 whole zucchinis (~2 cups) – thinly sliced to 1/8”
- Italian Marinara (~2 cups)
- 2 cups of part-skim Real California ricotta cheese
- fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat the oven for 325F
- To create the low carb zucchini lasagna pasta, slice the zucchini vertically with a 1/8″ You will need about 9-12 pieces.
- First layer the bottom of the pan with the zucchini slices, secondly add the marinara sauce, and flatten out 1/2 – 3/4 cup of ricotta cheese, and repeat the layering process.
- Place tin foil on top of the lasagna but keep it loosely wrapped to let some of the water evaporate.
- Bake for 45 min.
- Take the lasagna out of the oven, remove the tin foil, and drain out excess water from the pan.
- Put the lasagna back into the oven for another 20 min
- Remove from the oven (you may need to drain out the excess water again) and let it sit for 10 min before serving.
In case you want to check out this keto friendly recipe video, check it on my YT page: LINK HERE